Content marketing – The broader topic to understand and implement. Isn’t it?
Don’t worry, I will try to keep it simple.
In this guide, I’ll talk about blog content marketing strategy and why do you need one.
What is Content Marketing?
Developing the content (Text, Image, Video, Infographic or any other) and distributing with the targeted audience via social media, SEO, or another medium to generate more relevant leads, for better branding, and other marketing goals is known as Content Marketing.
To put it simply, Content is the first stepping stone to your online success.
Content isn’t something you write on your blog. It is something that solves the user search query.
This is my own Quote…
So, how to start?
Well, by simply writing content for the sake of blogging is not gonna work. It needs a serious strategy which has to be implemented in an effective way.
Here’s my story about content
In my initial days of blogging, I made huge mistakes in terms of content. Believe me, It took me almost 2 years to recover from its effects.
Alright! What’s it?
I bought this domain nettyfeed.com and hosted at Godaddy. After installing the blog, the first thing that came into my mind is to add categories that I write on.
I was so unknowledgeable that I created 6+ various categories (Globe news, Entertainment, SEO, Sports, Startups, Tech, etc) on my blog.
It continued for almost 18 months.
Still, I laugh for being that stupid.
Now, I understand that creating multiple niche content is not gonna make you rank. Instead, focus on a single niche and master in it.
Content is the most important out of Google’s ranking factors. Even Google doesn’t like if your blog has backlinks from irrelevant niche sites and pointing to multiple niches.
Alright, let me save your time and resources by teaching you the right blog content strategy.
Step 1: Explore Targeted audience personas
Alright, Why people date each other?
To know better, Isn’t it?
Knowing each other helps to love and respect each other.
The same holds for content too. Knowing more about your targeted audience can help you develop the right content they want.
So, how do you do that?
Ask these questions for yourself, I’m sure you’ll find the answers:
- Who is your targeted audience? (Working professionals, Women, Men, Age factor, Retailers, Bloggers, etc.)
- Identify their challenges or needs
- What kind of content do they enjoy (Roll to your Google Analytics and find out which blog posts have high engagement, traffic, and bounce rate)
- Understand how they are engaging with your competitors content so that you can create better
It is simple.
You need to identify what your readers are more likely caring or unable to find information about. Now you need to pick the emotional factors from it.
Finally, you give a solution in the form of article, infographic or any other media form.
Step 2: Article ideas, Keywords
If your niche is SEO, I’m sure you’d have an idea about the topics (Website traffic, Content marketing, link building, etc).
Now, you have to focus on keywords on that topic. Without the right keywords, you cannot rank on search engines and without ranking, you’ll face a hard time getting targeted traffic consistently.
Calm down! Keyword research is not that difficult as you think. The only thing you need to do is to find the competition of the keywords.
It is nothing but how popular the keywords on Google.
- You take the keyword “Content marketing”. Its search volume is 9,900, which means that many times people are searching SEO on Google per month. It also means that 1000s of people are already trying to rank for that keyword.
- Now, the keyword “Content marketing strategy”. It has a search volume of 880.
Now, which one do you consider?
If I were you, I consider the 2nd keyword (Longtail). Because it is easy to rank compared to the 1st one (Short tail). Once I rank for the long tail keyword, it becomes easy to rank for short-tail ones.
However, If you rank for short tail and succeed in it, then be ready for tons of website traffic.
Keyword research is not just about keywords. Keywords should not control the content. You need to write great content on the topic and include the keywords naturally.
Step 3: Write original and narrative content
People don’t listen to you until you tell them a story.
Never copy and paste the content from others, not even the narration.
Whatever the topic, be original and honest about what you are writing. Do the research and narrate the subject in your own way.
You take any top results on Google, they all have written original content which creates interest and solves the query of the reader.
That’s the reason they got ranked top.
Here are some tips I have learned to write better blog posts:
- Put catchy words in Title, and meta description to get the first impression. Do not forget to add your main keyword in the title and starting paragraph of your article
- Do not over add keywords in the article content, 2-3 times naturally is plenty enough)
- No one likes to read long paragraphs. So, break the content
- SEO experts say writing 2000+ blog posts will improve your chances to rank better. Yes, but simply adding the words for the sake of length is not gonna help
- Be detailed in a simple way, cover the subject as much as you can with citations and examples
- Do not add LSI keywords unnecessarily. Add only when it is necessary and naturally
- Build stronger CTA’s that help you achieve your goals
- Internal linking has many SEO benefits to rank faster, In any case, don’t forget to use it
- Do not link to too many and irrelevant websites unless you have the same ratio of incoming backlinks to your article
- Check your grammar and sentence formations using tools like Grammarly
- Use proper headings, subheadings, bullet points, bold the important phrases, quotes, etc
- Always add high-quality images from FREE stock sites like Unsplash, Canva or Pixabay
- Put the main keyword in the URL using plugins like Yoast SEO. Keep it short, by the way
I say, don’t write the content, build it according to the audience needs.
Step 4: Updating old content
Well, this is my favorite.
You have created the content and got ranked well.
Don’t you think you should edit the blog post and update it minorly?
You should. Because Google likes the content which is original, relevant and updated along with the time.
Believe me, You can’t stay forever on the 1st search result, If you don’t update the content more often. Moreover, your competitors always look for ways to beat you.
Always, keep an eye on your content and rankings.
Here are super tips to update your old content:
- Experiment on multiple Titles and see for which title CTA percentage is more
- If your competitor articles are ranking as Google snippets, check which keywords are showing up in the result and add in your article
- Update the fresh stats, and information if necessary
- Check all the Internal links and outgoing links are working fine
- Find out whether somebody has copied your content using Duplichecker. If copied, ask them via email to remove the copied content, if they don’t submit a Google DMCA complaint. It works!
I know you see a lot of variety of articles on the Internet do keep the above strategy in your mind to achieve success.
If your articles are not ranking, it is time to change your strategy,
Have fun and Happy content creating.
Have any questions? Feel free to talk in the below comments section.