I have been blogging for three years and didn’t earn money till the last three months; at least not that amount to make a living. However, I am happy now that I started to see little earnings from my blog so I thought of sharing the stuff that I’ve been familiar with or going to be. It always feels good when I share the knowledge that I know with others.
Law of money
Most people start their blog thinking that they could make money from blogging by chasing it and what happens, in reality, money runs away from such bloggers. They end up quitting with misery and blaming. Even I did the same and ended up to quit. However, things changed for me.
The truth, which I had so lately learned, most bloggers, running for money actually make very little or null. It is because they don’t provide enough value to get rewarded. You should not chase the money to make money, instead, focus on your service by adding high value. You will be rewarded with the money; be it writing or products that you sell. Focus on providing the thing that the audience wants before you expect anything from them. There is no process like “get help before you help someone”.
Increase your writing skills, consistency levels, work longer hours or be more creative than usual or do stuff that empowers you to get a jump and results from your actions. Sometimes, you might have to go that extra mile to get the job done. The highest-earning bloggers are those who are continuously learning and improving themselves to offer great value to the audience.
Bloggers who have no goals or the right mindset can’t make big money and they keep blaming Google for not ranking their articles to the top positions. A student, homemaker, professional job holder or anyone can earn money through blogging. You just need to believe in yourself to not to give up at any point in time and keep learning the right things. Take any top-earning bloggers and find out how long had they have been blogged with low-income figures, I’m sure most of them! It is all about practicing the right things continuously in the pursuit of success even you don’t any see instant profits.
Alright then, let’s quickly dive into how you can get started
Start your blog and build it in the right way
If you are landed on this article then I’d assume either you are a beginner or exhausted blogger with all the stuff. Whoever you are I have some questions for you:
- Being a newbie, do you directly get to do workouts without any warmup?
- Don’t you get induction training before you actually see yourself on the sales floor?
- Games like Call of Duty or PUBG won’t give you the video tour to understand the gaming and controls?
- Do you directly get to go to college without passing your high school?
I’m sure by now you have got my intent why I’d ask these – Training. Everything in the world might be changing but not the basics and fundamentals. AI, Blockchain, Robotics…even the more advanced tech stuff than these might come in the future but the science behind these remains the same.
You cannot directly push yourself into a WordPress blog and to start writing articles just because you are inspired by someone’s 7 figure income. Think of your passion and see if it fits for you to blog, fill your mind with the right blogging attitude, and patiently cover the basics by constant learning and networking. You should give time to build yourself for blogging. As my blogging friend, Santanu Debnath says, people are ready to spend 4-6 years in graduation to get a job and few are not even ready to put a couple of years to learn to blog in the right way.
It’s not fair to expect fruits after a day of planting. Watering, providing necessary sunlight, space to grow and time required to yield the fruits. Isn’t it? Same with blogging too!
My point is, “Blogging is no quick online practice to make huge money”. If you agreed to it, hop on to the below article to get started with blogging.
Learn how to start a blog and build it in the right way (Step-by-step guide)
In the above article, I have talked completely about blogging in an easy and short way. I hope you will make the most of it.
Level up your skills
We often look at our low stats and feel desperate but how occasionally we would take a look at our skills and audit? Here are the skills that one must develop to reach sky-high as a blogger.
- Understand to create effective content that sells. In short, the content you create must be interesting, unique and help the reader. Put a good amount of time in researching, creating and distributing the content. Remember this, without great content even paid promotions won’t work for you.
- Any money that I’m making today has been because of my blogging buddies. By connecting with people like them I have been able to understand reality, leverage exposure and find a lot of new friends and benefits that I otherwise might have missed. Yes, connections are damn important.
- The situation might come when you can’t allocate time to manage blogging things effectively and that’s the time you could lose consistency. Push yourself hard for a while and see what wonders you can do if you love and are consistent in the work that you do. Do read my article on maintaining blogging consistency.
- Are you yielding the results out of the efforts that you put? Keep a track of stats not for every 1 hour with desperation but at least once in a week. At a base level, you want tools like Google Analytics, Webmasters, SEMrush to understand the audience’s behavior, backlink profile, etc so you can learn to dive a bit deeper.
- Search engines and even users like to have a great reading experience while they are on your blog. Make sure the blog loads speed and no big distractions or pop-ups. Optimize your blog for better User Experience (UX) so that users can stay and listen to you or even give you a sweet affiliate sale.
- Most of the blogging consists of uploading graphics into your regular blog posts or social media. Make good use of platforms like Canva, Unsplash, Pexels, Pixabay to create banners, logo, Infographics or cover images as they come with copyright free licenses.
- Patience, dedication, persistence – Well, no one passes the path of success without these.
Believe me, things can turn very bad and then it’s not so hard to give up. There are rough moments, failures that might follow you for months, tested to an extent. But, if you believe in yourself and keep going no one stops you from meeting the success hill. Most importantly, you discover your capabilities. Without all those rough times how would you know your strength?
The most common philosophy of bloggers is to create multiple streams of income. So let’s quickly dive into the ways to make profits with your blog.
8 ways to make money from blogging
#1. Affiliate marketing
Who won’t like easy money after putting all those efforts to turn your blog into readers’ hub? Won’t you feel excited if I say that a simple one-word or sentence with a link will give you at least $50- $500? I’m sure you’d be super excited now.
The retailer pays you a handsome commission for sales that happened through your referral link. Isn’t simple? Most bloggers, freelancers, and even individuals are making thousands of dollars every single month. The one mistake every newbie does is that they signup for each and every affiliate product to promote on their blog. I’m sure that such bloggers end up with zero sales because of confusion and lack of management.
Don’t be one of them. By simply following below advice you can start earning decent money, I’m sure about that.
a) Promote products that are relevant to your niche
I have a cool example. Suppose you have a shop for clothing. Out of below three options, what sounds you perfect when it comes to attaching as an accessory?
- Shoes, belts, sunglasses to the customers who visit
- Laptops, Mobiles, Network devices, etc.
- Furniture, home decor, or electronic items
I hope you find option 1 as accurate because the add ons are relevant to your customers. Similarly, with the blog, you can’t just promote an Artificial Intelligence (AI) product to the users who visited your blog to find health-related information. You need to target the audience and promote relevant affiliate products to make a good conversion rate out of the total no.of visitors.
b) Be honest and create helpful content
As I mentioned above, Content comes first and remaining all comes next. You can’t simply write content and include affiliate links in it or all over your blog. Most people are smart enough to find out that you are promoting affiliates like a heck without giving the value in your content. Find out the pain of the audience or Google the top keywords in your niche and see what points other bloggers have missed. And then prepare the content purely to help the audience and build trust. You can include keywords according to the content and value, but do not overstuff it.
When the trust falls in place it’s a cakewalk to make millions. Moreover, you will be named as an authority blogger and then the audience easily buys the products that you recommend. Build authority and trust: Eventually, money comes to you.
#2. Creating eBooks and selling
If you have no idea what eBooks are, the books that are written and published online. People love to read content on their digital gadgets like Kindle reader, mobile, laptop, tablet and so on. According to reports, 20% more eBooks are being published now compared to five years back, be it in any niche like comics, business, jobs, stories, etc. The main reason I think is that eBooks are easy to publish and earn income.
How to create an eBook?
- Decide what you are good in so that you can write about it
- Write down Title and chapters (sub-topics)
- Start creating content on Word document
Now you have created a document but how do you turn it into an eBook and sell?
- Signup on Amazon, download their publishing software (KDP), upload your document into it, align/format the content and design as per Amazon publishing rules. Later you can upload the KDP format, cover image to Amazon and fix the rate you want to sell it on.
- Eventually, you can sell those eBooks on platforms like Selz. I strongly recommend you to sell eBooks on your blog too using your local country payment gateways.
Points to keep in mind while creating an eBook:
- Do not drag the content for the sake of length. Focus on adding more value than just regular content. In general, people create eBooks with an average length of 5000 to 20,000 words.
- The audience enjoys the content when it is simple, straight to the point, and more engaging with questions or examples.
- Do not fix the price based on the word count of the eBook, fix as per the value you’ve added.
Creating and selling eBooks is now more challenging than ever due to high competition. You need to stand out in the crowd to do well. To learn more about eBook income stream, you make sure to check out Ryan Biddulph’s eBook section as he already wrote 100+ eBooks and making handsome income every single month.
#3. Through Ads
Have you seen ads on your TV while the movie break time? Yes, we always see. The channel owner gets paid from those advertisers to run those ads. Similarly, as a blogger, you can earn money by placing relevant ads on your blog. There are multiple pricing models in Internet ads, However, you might need to know only two:
- Get paid for impressions ( Advertiser pay you according to the no. of views the Ad gets in a day)
- Get paid for clicks ( You will be paid as per the no. of clicks)
How to get started?
Since you are a beginner, I recommend using major ad networks like Google Adsense or MediaNet. Later then you could find yourself in exploring more options. Signup on any of these and you will be offered HTML code for each ad size (728*90, 300*250, etc). You need to add the code given by the ad network into your WordPress widgets and have the option of where to place the ads on your blog. Use plugins like Ad injection to manage and experiment on ad placements.
Points to remember:
- Do not just place codes everywhere on the blog as it might slow down your blog and users would leave before even they see your ads. Ad on the header, sidebar and one in a blog post is good enough. However, you are suggested to do the experimenting with ad positions to understand which yields good results.
As I keep saying, create compelling content and give great reading experiences to the audience, the rest is taken care of.
#4. Sell your blog space
Yes, you can sell spaces of your blog that includes header, footer, sidebar, homepage or blog posts. To do this your blog should have a good amount of traffic so that brands come to you and ask to promote their brand in front of your readers. You can also reach potential advertisers through social media, emails or sell yourself more effectively for higher reach.
Selling such ads can be in the form of banners with sizes like 728*90 or 300*250. How much should you charge? If you are getting traffic like 1M or more per month then you can charge at least $5000/month or more. It all depends on your blog’s traffic, engagement, domain authority, and other factors. Here are some important guidelines that you must adhere to sell space of your blog:
- Traffic – Simple: more the traffic, more the opportunities for you to make money. The traffic source or country also matters in this case. For instance, some advertisers demand blogs that have big traffic from countries like the U.S or U.K.
- Content – Always make sure to write original, honest and eye-catchy content. Such content gets ranked easily on search engines and also shared by the readers.
- Domain Authority – Even though D.A is not official Google’s ranking factor, most advertisers spend money on the basis of it. The higher the blog’s D.A the chance to make a big income. However, It’s not easy to improve your blog’s D.A in a day or week. Consistent link building, writing compelling content, social media mentions and so on… are the major ways to increase it.
#5. Freelancing services
By the year or two, you would be an experienced blogger than a newbie. It means that you can start making money by doing things that you already know. That being said, most earning bloggers are offering their skills and expertise to generate income from their blogs. Plus, it doesn’t require the investment of money or resources. However, it consumes a huge time than any other stream, except affiliates.
If you build the blog on the trust factor then it’s not difficult for you to get freelance business clients even with a low traffic number. Below are some ways that I can suggest to you get started with it by:
- Writing content (For new websites, seasonal campaigns, case studies, articles, sponsored content, social media posts, and so on). You can charge on per word basis (1 INR per word or more).
- Setting up the blog for newbies (You can create a package where they can buy it and get the work done from you)
- Doing SEO for websites and new bloggers
- Setting up paid ad campaigns for small businesses to generate leads
- Managing social media pages or accounts for brands. My friend, Lisa Sicard is doing great in this aspect. She has 25+ years of experience in doing this. See, how much value she can offer to brands and eventually make money out of it!
Even if you got no blog, it is easy to get started with Freelancing by signing up on sites like Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer, Peopleperhour, etc. If you want more insights on freelancing topics, I strongly advise you to connect with amazing freelancer Nikola Roza and see how exactly he is playing it the right way.
#6. Sponsored content
Most bloggers today are not interested in placing ads on their blogs as the ads cover the reading part, which might offend the reader’s interest. For such bloggers, sponsored content is the right alternative.
How does it work?
A company will pay you if you talk about their service or product on your blog and promote it with your audience. This is an easy way to generate profits through your blog. However, getting clients is not so easy as you think. You need to look around, reach people, find the right PR contacts of the company, create short and sweet pitch and roll out the offerings and price.
You can make tons of money through this medium if you rank well on search engines. Write content that solves the problems of people in your niche, this way you are bringing more readers to your blog. Eventually, you can create a page of the media kit with your numbers and those numbers must convey the organic audience that why should they put sponsored content on your blog.
As a newbie, do not run for bigger brands to pitch, start with small businesses. Small and new brands will be more eager to promote their brand and to increase digital exposure, so you must start from small.
And don’t just rush to publishing the content because they are paying you. Keep below points in your mind:
- Let your audience know that the article is sponsored by so and so.
- Exchange emails with the advertiser and tell them to provide a good amount of content in the form of an interesting story, examples, or pictures, infographics or even a video instead of a pushy sales pitch.
Before you think to proceed, ask yourself that:
- Does this sponsored post relevant to my audience and blog?
- Does it bring value?
If the answer rings as YES, go ahead.
How to pitch?
Introduce yourself, let them know the reason why you have reached them, tell them how they can be benefited if they collaborate with you, and show them some examples of some brands how they increased exposure by sponsored content.
Keep it short, accurate, and straight to the point.
What I’m getting at it, be transparent, earn the trust of both advertisers and readers. Both the way, you win.
#7. Do the public speaking
All you have to do is sell yourself! People don’t want to listen to someone who has no sound knowledge about what he is talking about. They need an expert, specialist who know every small detail about the topic. And you will reach to that stage when you work patiently and smartly for a long time. It will take time and mental energy to talk before a bunch of people.
Many bloggers like Deepak Kanakaraju, Akshay Hallur are making a lot of money with such public speaking gigs. Organizing such events for a small fee by renting the space for a day or hours is not so hard. If you start with the small and work consistently then in no time you will be able to find many opportunities on the way. Even if you do it for free for an initial period of time, you can promote your blog and affiliate products.
Whether you are a newbie, wannabe, established blogger, writer or a student, you can get paid as a speaker. However, you will be paid on the basis of knowledge and ability to create engagement. You have to position yourself as an expert in the field that you work. Few organizations hire motivational speakers for one day or even fewer hours to motivate their employees while they work.
Actually, this is a great way to make money if you enjoy sharing the knowledge that you have and engaging with the people around you. You can do that even for 1 person like personal coaching, mentoring, consulting, etc and open multiple income streams with the same knowledge. If you are about to start something new then find the niche that you are interested in, create eBooks, seminars and courses on it, organize small casual meetups, or events and then start selling by attaching the value.
Trust is the key here. If you have been helping the community with your knowledge through digital space, it is easy to bring that audience to your speaking events.
As I already mentioned, building fans is not a one day job, it takes time. However, if you have been good at creating valuable content and bringing the right traffic to your blog – you can launch a podcast today.
If you are not familiar with podcasts yet, it is an Internet audio medium through which you can create, upload and distribute the audio content to reach a broader audience. It is just like a broadcast show that you can listen to and subscribe to. In order to make it a good income stream the first you need to decide is what you are good at, just like a blogging niche.
How do you start it?
You can even get started with free platforms like Anchor.fm. In fact, most of my blogging friends do talk on it regularly and I feel super easy to listen through it. Just signup and start recording or also upload your videos. Plus, if you have already build authority via your blog then it’s not so hard to bring the audience to your podcast shows. The more the podcast reaches more the chances to make money.
If your Podcast show becomes a big hit in the market then you will be contacted by big brands to publish their content and to develop other collaborations. Plus, you will be able to become friends with many top influencers, bloggers and brands for mutual benefits. No one gets it right in the first attempt, how to start, where to start, how to structure the show, etc things cringe you. And that’s the thing – you just have to get started.
I found this cool podcasting platform called PodBean. In fact, most earning bloggers are using this to create and produce their podcast content. Already, 230,000 podcasters are using Podbean to take their word out. You can even get started with a free account to understand it’s workflow. You will get your own podcasting site, RSS & iTunes automatic feed, pre-loaded setup/themes, unlimited storage space and time and so many amazing features that you need to become a successful podcast hero.
Well, you can start with your computer in-built mic too, however, most podcasters recommend you to buy a good quality mic like Samson or Rode. If you are new, I suggest you start recording voices on mobile or YouTube to kick off the fears or even you can turn the existing blog content into a short podcast. You can even roll out your audio content to iTunes by simply adding your podcast URL into iTunes. There’s an even auto-share option to share podcast audio content to a WordPress blog by connecting the blog in the Podbean dashboard.
Once you’ve got a decent audience base, you are good to monetize your podcasts through sponsored content, affiliates, ads, online store, and even donations. However, it will take a good amount of time and commitment to make your podcast income stream a big hit.
These are only a few ways to generate regular passive income by blogging. But you don’t have to limit yourself with these. There are many opportunities doors up every single day. So go and explore and see what brings you tons of cash into your pockets. Just remember to add value to everything that you do.
I hope you enjoyed reading this! Let me know your thoughts in the comments box. Also, please share it with others.